The best way to beat the summer heat is with these homemade lemon popsicles. This recipe is perfect for those lemon lovers as the amount of lemon juice gives a bold tartness backed up with the sweet oils from the lemon zest.
- / and or
Yield: 6 popsicles or 3 cups of liquid
|Lemon Zest||5g||1 tablespoon or two lemons|
|Lemon Juice||240g||1 cup & 1 tablespoon (4-5 lemons)|
- Zest two lemons.
- Combine sugar, water and lemon zest in a pan and heat over medium heat mix until sugar is dissolve. Continue heating until the mixture boils; turn off heat and allow to cool.
- Using a citrus reamer or juicer extract the juice out of approximately.
- Combine lemon juice with cooled sugar/water/zest mixture.
- Run mixture through a strainer/sieve to remove zest and lemon pulp and seeds.
- Using a cup with a pour spout fill popsicle molds about an 1/8″ from the top. Add popsicle sticks or caps.
- Place in freezer upright for six hours.
- To remove from molds run under hot water from the faucet for 10 seconds on each side, wait another 20 seconds and gently pull apart with slow steady pressure.
In The Making Photos
When zesting a a lemon use care to only get the outside skin. The white part under it is bitter and too much of it will impart its own flavor. It only requires a light pressure of the lemon against the zester to remove the sweet yellow skin. Too much pressure and you will remove some of the white part as well with each pass.
When using a reamer a slow twisting speed at an angle to the lemon keeps juice from shooting out everywhere.